The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Civil Society Engagement Analyst (NPSA9)
Job Identification: 10257
Job Schedule: Full Time
Contract Duration: 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Bureau: Regional Bureau for Africa
Vacancy Type: National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area: Conflict Prevention, Peacebuilding and Responsive Institutions
Scope of Work
- Under the direct supervision of the Conflict & Political Economy Specialist, the Civil Society Engagement Analyst will be responsible for the following functions and tasks:
Summary of Key Functions
- Serve as the focal point for civil society engagement in the NW programme and building the prevention capacity of nonprofit organizations in the North West;
- Support the development and implementation of programme strategies, project activities and day-to-day field engagement;
- Support knowledge management and information sharing, including monitoring and evaluation, reporting and communications with the interventions in the NW.
Key Duties and Accountabilities
Serve as the focal point for civil society engagement in the NW programme:
- Working with Civil Society groups, enhance the citizens’ ability to contribute to preventative responses to conflict;
- Engage Civil Society to advance local innovative approaches to peacebuilding in a way that fosters collaboration and collaborative values, transforms attitudes and gives stronger voices to communities;
- Ensure efficient coordination in the civil society engagement in UNDP’s NW programme;
- Ensure inclusive participation as well as conflict and gender sensitivity in UNDP’s civil society engagement.
Support the development and implementation of programme strategies, project activities and day-to-day field engagement:
- Undertake thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and in target communities; and provide substantive inputs to UNDP-related projects regarding civil society engagement;
- Support the civil society components in the implementation of the day-to-day activities of the NW intervention;
- Consult regularly with other UNDP projects and programmes on related activities where synergies are possible;
- Consult regularly with projects implemented by other UN agencies and INGO’s on related activities in the North West and other conflict prevention and peacebuilding related target states;
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned with regards to civil society engagement.
Support knowledge management and information sharing, including monitoring and evaluation, reporting and communications with the interventions in the NW:
- Regularly contribute to contextual briefings and analysis and overall programme reporting with particular focus on CSO engagements and activities;
- Facilitate and document human interest stories of beneficiaries and develop communication materials on the engagement with civil society.
- The Civil Society Engagement Analyst would be reporting to the Conflict & Political Economy Specialist.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work.
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking.
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning.
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process.
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously.
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build and/or /maintain coalitions/partnership.
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making.
Functional / Technical competencies
- Results-based Management: Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results.
- Project Management: Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
Business Management: Portfolio Management:
- Ability to select, prioritize and control the organization’s programmes and projects, in line with its strategic objectives and capacity;
- Ability to balance the implementation of change initiatives and the maintenance of business-as-usual, while optimizing return on investment.
Business Direction & Strategy:
- System Thinking: Ability to use objective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system.
Business Direction & Strategy:
- Effective Decision Making: Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources.
Business Direction & Strategy:
- Negotiation and Influence: Ability to reach an understanding, persuade others, resolve points of difference, gain advantage in the outcome of dialogue, negotiates mutually acceptable solutions through compromise and creates ‘win-win’ situations.
Business Development: Integration within the UN:
- Ability to identity, and integrate capacity and assets of the UN system, and engage in joint work;
- Knowledge of the UN System and ability to apply this knowledge to strategic and/or practical situations.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in International Development / Relations, Economics, Business Management, Political Science, or other related field.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in peacebuilding and conflict prevention;
- Experience in effectively engaging with civil society in prevention and peacebuilding;
- Experience in effectively engaging in preventing violence and conflict is an asset;
- Knowledge and experience of engaging with Civil Society actors and networks in Northern Nigeria is an asset;
- Experience working in the context of Northern Nigeria is an asset;
- Previous working experience with UNDP and other UN agencies strongly preferred.
- People Management
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
Application Closing Date
1st June, 2023 (04:59 PM).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- Scam warning: The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.