How to Register your Business Online with Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC)
Corporate Affairs Commission is a body of the Nigerian Government responsible for the regulation and management of companies in Nigeria. It was introduced in 1990 with the passing of the Companies and Allied Matters Act. It is headed by a Chairman and closely assisted by the Registrar General/ CEO.
Functions of the Commission
The functions of the Commission as set out in section 7 of the Companies and Allied Matters Act, includes the following:
To administer the Act, including the regulation and supervision of the formation, incorporation, management and winding up of companies
- To establish and maintain companies registry and offices in all the states of the Federation suitably and adequately equipped to discharge its functions under the Act or any law in respect of which it is charged with responsibility
- Arrange and conduct an investigation into the affairs of any company where the interests of the shareholders and the public so demand
- To undertake such other activities as are necessary or expedient for giving full effect to the provisions of the Act.
- The Commission also registers Business Names, and Incorporated Trustees as well as provides a wide range of ancillary services.
Frequently asked questions
- Who are accredited agents?Accredited agents are person(s) or institutions certified by the corporate affairs commission to process and submit pre-incorporation and post-incorporation filings on-behalf of individuals and businesses.
- I have forgotten my Password, What can I do?On the Login prompt; use the forgot password feature; this would send you an electronic mail notification on further steps to take to reset your password or get a new one
- What do I do If I do not receive my password after account creation?Go to the ‘Sign in’ page and click ‘Forgot Password’ link and follow the instructions. An email containing a password reset link will be sent to your registered email address. Click on the link or paste it on your browser and follow the steps provided.
- What does CAC-CRP mean?This stands for the Corporate Affairs Commission – Company Registration Portal.
- How can I get a CAC-CRP Portal Account Access?It is easy as visiting services.cac.gov.ng and clicking ‘Create Account‘ button; fill in the form, submit and your account details would be sent to the email address you entered.
- What can I do with my CAC-CRP Portal Account?With your CAC-CRP portal account you can submit pre-incorporation and post-incorporation filings with the Corporate Affairs Commission online in real time. You can also conveniently make payment for these filings from the comfort of your home; 24/7 a year.
- What is the first thing I must do to register a business in Nigeria?To register a business in Nigeria; you would need to conduct a name search of the business. You can achieve this using your CAC-CRP account
- What do I need to submit a successful Name Availability Request?To submit a name availability request successfully; you would need the following:The name(s) to search; a maximum of two options
- Your CAC-CRP account access (username and password)N500 onlyOther required information about the type of business (Please use an accredited agent if in doubt)
- But I don’t have an e-payment credit/debit card; how can I pay online?If you do not have a debit/credit card to use for payment online; you can still use your internet banking to pay for fees in the CAC-CRP. If you don’t have internet banking either; just generate the bill from the CAC-CRP; walk into any bank branch in Nigeria and make the payment.
- But I am outside Nigeria how am I affected?This service is available for anybody to use from anywhere in the world at any point in time. Payment options available though are debit/credit cards as well as internet banking with any of the Nigerian banks.
- How will I know if My Name Availability Was Approved or Declined?Once your name search request has been processed; you would receive an email notification in your officially registered email address. Then on logging in to your CAC-CRP account; you would be able to see the status of your application as well as generate the availability approval/disapproval form.
- What do I do if My Name Availability request is declined?You can seek advice from an accredited agent; or make another name search application.
- What is the Closest CAC office to me?Please check the CAC official website at www.cac.gov.ng for information on offices Nationwide
- Where can I get more information?Please check the CAC official website at www.cac.gov.ng for information
What is the cost of registering a business name in Nigeria?
- The CAC official filing fee for the registration of business name in Nigeria is N10,000 (Ten Thousand Naira Only). However, where an accredited agent is engaged by the applicant for such registration, the agent will also charge a professional fee for the services to be rendered.
- What is a CAC document?
A certificate of incorporation is a document given by the companies’ regulation agency of a country (in Nigeria’s case this is the Corporate Affairs Commission – CAC) as evidence of the existence of a company, and it’s right to do business. … It signifies that the company not only exist.