Project Manager (Reintegration and Reconciliation) at the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Abuja, Nigeria.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Manager (Reintegration and Reconciliation)
Requisition: SVN 2020 270
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Reintegration and Reconciliation (RR) Programme Coordinator, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing wide-ranging technical support and supervision of distinct activities emerging from the development and the day-to-day operations of the RR programme.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Provide overall framing and supervision of the financial, technical and administrative aspects of activities to be supported within the overall framework of the RR programme, in line with IOM’s policies and procedures as well as donor requirements.
- Identification and coordination of priorities and lines of support to the Government and other partners relating to the National Action Plan on reintegration and reconciliation.
- Support Programme Coordinator to articulate with the Government all activities related to strategic communications related to reconciliation in the communities as well as preventing violent extremism.
- Support the relevant Government agencies on the design and implementation of government communication strategies, communications plan and relevant messaging.
- Support the RR programme Coordinator to coordinate the inclusion of messaging and awareness elements on the IOM reintegration and reconciliation activities.
- Support the Programme Coordinator to establish and maintain strong and close partnership with donors, local and federal government counterparts, UN Agencies, international and local NGOs, supporting and providing advice on the programming, and on identification of key stakeholders, technical consultants, and other programme implementers.
- Provide supervision and oversight to the establishment of technical implementation teams for the development and implementation of high-impact activities which meet the objectives of the programme, including recruitment, administrative and logistics support to project staff and consultants in the field.
- Manage and coordinate with operations staff as appropriate for activity implementation to ensure that procurement, finance, logistics, and programmatic aspects of each activity are being implemented on-time and in accordance with the specifications of the approved activity.
- Provide advice and guidance to the logistics, financial and procurement teams in the application of standard guidelines and procedures aimed at ensuring an appropriate, efficient and transparent use of funds.
- Produce and implement a project workplan in compliance with the Nigeria RR Action Plan, and collaborate with Monitoring / Evaluation and Reporting IOM Officer in providing weekly updates, monthly, quarterly reports and final reports following also donors requirements, highlighting achievements, challenges and recommendations; as well as to develop, monitor, evaluate and recommend performance measures for related RR activities, including contractors and grantees.
- Coordinate closely with the Public Information Officer and relevant counterparts, to support the development of public information material and serve as an information focal point for the generation of stories, photos, and relevant materials to contribute to the development of strategic communications materials with other concerned stakeholders.
- Liaise with IOM’s Staff Security Unit (SSU) and the Mission Security Focal point as / when required, in close conjunction with the management of IOM Nigeria and in accordance with the United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) requirements.
- Perform such other related duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in International Relations, Management, Development Studies, Planning, Business Administration, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Specific international work experience on RR programmes / third generation DDR programming; engagement with Government counterparts and communities will be an advantage;
- Specific work experience with various donors and familiarity with their reporting needs;
- Experience in graphic design, Excel PowerPoint, or other software to generate sophisticated reporting;
- Experience supporting assessments, program design, intra-governmental coordination, project management and oversight is highly desirable;
- Experience in project implementation, capacity building and support to grants fund management and administrative and related fields;
- Experience in developing and maintaining budgetary disciplines across a wide range of grant activities;
- Experience working within the region is an asset;
- Experience living or working in a developing or transitioning country is an asset.
- Strong knowledge and cultural understanding of the country and conversant on country politics;
- Knowledge of the United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) protocols and experience working in a phase III (or above) security environment;
- Excellent communication and writing skills with the ability to analyses complex problems and identify and convey clear, rapid solutions;
- In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization;
- Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming;
- Effective resource management skills;
- Strong general analytical skills.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
- For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and Spanish is an advantage.
- Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and / or oral assessments.
NB: 1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles / rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link: https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
- Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations.
- Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Application Closing Date
17th December, 2020; by 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- No late applications will be accepted.
- IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.