Technical Analyst, Social Protection and Conditional Grants Scheme at the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), Abuja Nigeria.
he United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Analyst, Social Protection and Conditional Grants Scheme
Job ID: 33508
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Practice Area – Job Family
Poverty Reduction – Social Protection
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC):
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) were adopted in September 2015 in New York, as the successor to the unfinished business of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). To fast tract its implementation in Nigeria, a technical collaboration between the Office of the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Sustainable Development Goals (OSSAP-SDGs) and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) has been developed.
The technical collaboration is aimed coordinating the partnerships for SDGs implementation between MDAs at the National level, between the national and sub-national governments as well as between the government and the private sector.
The approach builds on the work already done by both institutions during the implementation of the MDGs. This recruitment will help bring the requisite capacity to ensure that the 17SDGs are aligned to the medium-term plans at both national and sub-national levels especially at the sector levels and its implementation are also consistent with the implementation of the domestic development plans.
Given the national and State level peculiarities, the recruited Staff member will help facilitate the localization of the SDGs at the tiers of government and its subsequent mainstreaming into the plans in addition to the specific duties and responsibilities states in section III below.
The overriding purpose is therefore to strengthen the technical leadership for SDGs implementation and coordination at both the State and federal levels through the office of SSAP- SDGs in Abuja, Nigeria.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance of UNDP National Economist, the candidate will:
- Liaise with the Head of CGS to coordinate OSSAP-SDGs subnational interventions
- Work with the Head of CGS to review and implement the CGS implementation manual
- Liaise with the Office of the Vice President/Special Adviser to the President on Social Investment to mainstream and mobilize funding for OSSAP-SDGs Social Protection Programmes
- Provide support to the Head of CGS to develop and implement strategies to effectively engage the sub-national governments and mainstream the SDGs into the State Development Plans
- Develop and Implements a Monitoring, Supervision and Evaluation Mechanism for CGS projects to ensure value for money
- Provide technical support in the design of new social protection programmes and strategies for implementation at the national levels.
- Liaise with other development partners on social protection and develop innovative programmes on social protection.
- Support efforts to improve learning systems and planning processes to ensure knowledge and evidence are fully utilized to improve existing social protection interventions, as well as inform policy and framework level decision making
- Establish and maintain strong working relationship with key stakeholders, including from the MDAs, UN and donor communities to initiate, adapt or test new practices, approaches or methodologies with a view of improving the quality of social protection interventions.
- Liaise with key stakeholders on data analysis, impact evaluations and learning activities, identifying opportunities for the coordination of the publication and dissemination process of technical reports and other products on social protection.
- Build and sustain effective relationships with senior government officials, line ministries, project implementation units, international development partners and think tanks.
Required Skills and Experience
- First Degree in Social Sciences, Humanities, Development and Law. A Master’s Degree with 04 years experience will be an added advantage.
- Seven years experience in Development Work
- Knowledge of SDGs issues at both national and sub-national government
- Demonstrated working experience with government institutions in Nigeria.
- Computer literacy skills.
- Good written and oral communication skills in English
- Knowledge of at least on Nigerian language.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- People Management:
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done
Technical / Functional
- Maintain a working knowledge of and assist in the interpretation of federal grant circulars including conditional grant scheme.
- Ability to interpret contracts, requirements, policies and procedures relating to grants, applicable laws, rules, and regulations
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in multidisciplinary and multicultural teams, in complex organizations and ability to deliver quality results while meeting deadlines under shifting priorities
- Innovative skills
- Must demonstrate personal initiative as well as the ability to work well in a team
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to have extensive interaction with government officials, organization leaders, staff members and the public.
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
Application Closing Date
6th December, 2020 (Midnight New York, USA).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online